Bottoms up! What's on the Financial Holiday Cocktail Menu this year?
It's been quite a year on Wall Street. Record highs, record fines. Regardless, with the holidays approaching, we could all use a drink.
Once again, the folks at Wall Street consulting and PR firm Cognito have come up with their Financial Holiday Cocktail Menu. So what's to drink? This year's treats include:
- Mary Jo White Russian: A stiff prescription, feminine but also aggressive — serve with a dash of Triple SEC. (I say it must also come completely unadorned. No twists, olives or umbrellas.)
- SAC Breeze: Don't settle for anything less. This mix of vodka, cranberry and grapefruit is delicious but could cost you $1.2 billion. (How about the JPMor-garita? It costs $13 billion and leaves top executives fresh without a hangover!)
- The Smashtag: I.P.Oh so delicious. A potential volatile blend of 140 flavors — and a public favorite! (Serve for friends who, like Twitter, aren't profitable.)
- The Debt Peeling: Laden with orange peels, this take on the Manhattan is guaranteed to raise the Roof but could bring down the House! (A nonalcoholic version is called the Ted Cruz.)
- "Obamacared" for an additional treat: Just add Healthcare.gov to any order, and it comes on the rocks.
An excellent start! But folks on Twitter — perhaps drinking a #Smashtag — added a few ideas of their own.
- The Tesla: A shot of fireball. (@willmeltron)
- The Goldman Sach-e-bomb: You close your eyes, take a shot, and wake up next to Warren Buffett. (@CraigScott31)
- The Obama Mind Eraser: A very strong drink that allows you to forget what you said. (@cmjones0207)
- The Dirty Corzine: From various neighbors' liquor cabinets, get vodka, dry vermouth, and olive juice. Shake and serve with two subpoenas. (@LanceRancid)
- The Bank Bail-out-Bomb: A drink that costs a trillion dollars, and you wake up broke, buck naked and out of a job. (@106HDBadBoy)
We received a slew of suggestions related to "the taper," which, unfortunately, has become a perennial favorite, because the anticipation of tapering has become, well, perennial.
- The Taperhina: Takes forever to be served & keeps threatening to drop you on your a**, but you can magically just keep drinking. (@MBGBeth)
- The Taper Twister: You drink and start buying rounds for the bar, round after round. (@garygi)
- The Taper: Each drink is supposed to have less and less alcohol, but the bartender never gets around to doing that, so keep drinking! (@j2lovesfriday)
@j2lovesfriday was actually on a roll coming up with suggested cocktails. Here are a few more of his tasty concoctions:
- Too Big to Jail: Goldschlager, gold tequila, other top shelf liquors paid w/ public TARP $. Any exec who drinks never faces jail.
- The QE drink: no one knows what's in it and it's supposed to be stimulating, but we keep drinking it without feeling anything.
- The Bitcoin drink: made with moonshine and other unregulated/illegal ingredients from secret computer recipe, expect to overpay.
Finally, cheer up. For those still feeling a little skittish in this economy despite a bull market, brace yourself this holiday with "The Chicken Stock" from @ChrisAnkney. "A strong drink to give you the courage to make risky trades. Doubles as a remedy the next morning!"
—By CNBC's Jane Wells; Follow her on Twitter: @janewells
Beer in baggage claim tops off airport revenues
Whisky & wine may not be such liquid assets
First published November 21 2013, 4:25 PM