Labor Day Weekend is almost here, meaning retailers are rolling out some incredible sales.
Shoppers should look out for deals on major items like household appliances, mattresses, patio furniture, and even cars.
Since the holiday weekend also marks the end of summer for most retailers, you'll find plenty of clearances on outdoor furniture and Back-to-School supplies.
We've rounded up some of the best deals:
"Those in the industry refer to Labor Day as the 'Black Friday of car shopping' because consumers can land such great deals on new cars," said Kendal Perez, savings expert for CouponSherpa.
"Since Labor Day is the last three-day holiday weekend of the year and kicks off a new month for dealerships, car salespeople are eager to reach their bonus targets and make deals with consumers who are likely taking the day or weekend to visit multiple dealerships and compare prices."
What’s more, dealerships want to move inventory to make room for 2017 models. "Car shoppers should expect special financing offers include zero-interest loans for qualified buyers, plus total cash allowances of $2,000 to over $5,000, depending on the vehicle," said Perez.
Analysts at NADA Used Car Guide assembled a list of the weekend's best deals, highlighting the following, among others (see the full list here):
- 2016 Volkswagen Jetta: 0 percent financing for 60 months, plus $1,500 cash back
- 2016 Ford Focus: 0 percent financing for 72 months, plus $2,000 cash back
- 2016 Kia Optima: 0 percent financing for 66 months, plus $1000 bonus cash or $2,000 cash back
- 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe: 0.9 percent financing for 60 months, plus $1,750 cash back
- 2016 Lexus CT Hybrid: $3,500 cash back
- 2016 Lincoln MKX: 0 percent for 60 months, plus $1,000 cash back
- 2016 BMW 5-Series Sedan: 0.9 percent financing for 72 months
Every area and dealership operates a bit differently, so be sure to check with your local dealership to get the most accurate sales information.
"[Labor Day weekend] is an excellent time to buy major appliances as stores look to make room for new models," said Brent Shelton, online shopping expert at FatWallet. "Discounts can range from 25-50 percent off these big-ticket home items with a larger selection of brands and styles than we’ll see during the Black Friday deals."
Sears is offering 40 percent or more off Kenmore appliances such as the Kenmore 70413 27.6 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator - Stainless Steel, which is now $999.99, down from $1999.99. Orders over $399 qualify for free shipping. At Best Buy, get a $400 gift card when you buy three or more major appliances totaling $4,000 or more. On eBay find the New Midea 2.0 Cu. Ft. Combination Washer/Dryer Combo Ventless for $679.99, down from $1,747.50 .
"Labor Day is one of the best weekends of the year for purchasing a mattress," said Courtney Jespersen, retail expert at NerdWallet. "“Last year, we spotted mattress discounts in the neighborhood of 60 percent off on Labor Day. Some stores sweetened the deal with free delivery or special financing offers as well.”
Shoppers can expect similar steals this year. Macy's is proclaiming its lowest mattress prices of the season for Labor Day. The Sealy Posturepedic Orchard Valley Firm Tight Top Queen Mattress Set is on sale for $397, down from $859. The Serta Perfect Sleeper Cool Mist Cushion Firm Tight Top California King Mattress Set is on sale for $997, down from $1,929. At Sears, save up to 60 percent on mattresses, with an extra 10 percent off select brands, plus free delivery on purchases of $499 or more.
Outdoor Furniture and Accessories
"Patio furniture, outdoor fire pits and outdoor accessories are on clearance as the summer season comes to a close," says Perez, pointing to deals at Pottery Barn, where you can save up to 60 percent off outdoor items, as well as to Lowe's, which is offering up to 75 percent off select patio furniture and outdoor decor.
At Sam's Club, you'll find 11 percent to 26 percent off select patio sets. Additionally, Overstock.com has slashed prices on an array of garden and patio furniture, offering savings of up to 70 percent. Pier 1 Imports' outdoor clearance also has items marked down up to 70 percent.
Travel brands and services are ushering in deals throughout the month of September, with select offerings revolving around the holiday weekend.
Perez highlighted the following deals and promo codes:
- On CheapOair, through September 7, take up to $40 off with promo code LD40.
- On Expedia, through September 4, save $30 on $300 bookings when you stay two or more nights with promo code EXPHOTEL30.
- HotelWiz is offering $20 off through September 11 with promo code HWIZ20
- Hotels.com is touting 12 percent off on select hotels when you spend $300 or more through September 4 with the promo code LABORDAY16.
- On SmartFares, take up to 70 percent off plus an extra $15 off Labor Day airfare through September 11 with promo code SFLABOR15.
- If you're taking a vacation this weekend, you can also score some last minute travel deals. DogVacay created a new coupon, NBCLABORDAY, giving new users $30 off a purchase of $50 or more, valid from September 1-8, a spokesperson for the brand confirmed.
To stay up to date and make the most of your savings opportunities, consumers should follow their favorite retailers on social media.
"On Facebook and Instagram, make sure to like the store pages where you tend to shop," said Sara Skirboll, shopping and trends expert for savings at RetailMeNot. "Often times they'll launch a sale which may only last an hour or so and their followers are the first to hear about and take advantage of these deals.”
If you're out of town this weekend, or aren't up for shopping, don't fret — you may still be able to get the same great deals next week.
"Most Labor Day sales events extend into the following week," said Shelton. "Online deal sites will aggregate all the extended sales and coupons and vet out the best savings available for those who waited for bigger discounts post-holiday."