March 22, 2013 at 8:18 AM ET
The telefilm "Romeo Killer: The Chris Porco Story" will air as previously scheduled Saturday night, after Lifetime won a reversal in New York State Appellate Court Thursday, according to the New York Post.
A restraining order had been issued on Tuesday by Judge Robert Muller, which would prevent the airing or promoting of the film, after Christopher Porco claimed the film was riddled with errors and would hurt his reputation. Porco is serving a 46 years-to-life sentence for killing his father Peter and trying to murder his mother Joan.
According to the Post, Porco currently does not have a lawyer, and was present in Albany court via speakerphone from Danemora prison.
The Hollywood Reporter noted that in their appeal, Lifetime lawyers wrote, "The Supreme Court’s order is unprecedented and would cause grave and irreparable damage not just to Lifetime but to the constitutional protections for speech."
"I'm very pleased the appellate court recognized the fundamental First Amendment implications and that Mr. Porco's claim that his right to privacy would be violated, was unfounded," said Michael Grygiel, the lawyer who represented Lifetime in the case, told WNYT.
Lifetime has wasted no time in jumping on the publicity; a new teaser (above) touts the film as "The Lifetime original movie Chris Porco tried to kill."
"Romeo Killer: The Chris Porco Story" stars Eric McCormack and Lolita Davidovich, and is now set to air on Saturday at 8 p.m. on Lifetime.