May 22, 2012 at 9:42 AM ET
Not only has Ridley Scott confirmed that a sequel to “Blade Runner” is in the works, the filmmaker also says the film will feature a woman in the lead role.
While promoting his upcoming movie “Prometheus,“ Scott told The Daily Beast, “I started my first meetings on the “Blade Runner” sequel last week. We have a very good take on it. And we’ll definitely be featuring a female protagonist.”
Development on the project comes 30 years after the 1982 original, which starred Harrison Ford and is set in what then seemed the far-off future of 2019.
The sequel is expected to be released in 2014, and according to Ace Showbiz, original screenwriter Hampton Fancher may reunite with Scott on the film.
Scott told The Daily Beast having a female protagonist feels normal to him.
“I’m used to very strong women because my mother was particularly strong, and my father was away all the time,” he said. “I think there are a lot of men who feel they’re being emasculated by having the woman be in charge; I’ve never had that problem.”
Scott says acceptance of women in starring roles has changed a great deal since he directed 1991's "Thelma & Louise," which stars Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon.
"The budget (for 'Thelma & Louise') was very slender — about $15 million — because nobody wanted to make it," Scott said. "One director who turned me down said, 'I’ve got a problem with the women,' and I said, 'Well you’re meant to, you dope!' So I thought that I should direct it myself.”
"Blade Runner" fans, will you see the sequel? Tell us on Facebook.