Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM ET
Household cleaners can cause poisoning, chemical burns, dermatitis (swollen, reddened skin) and other injuries. When a spray bottle was involved in a child's injuries, the child was 18 times more likely to have external contact with the chemical (rather than ingestion or inhalation), and 13 times more likely to have eye injuries than other types of injuries, the study found.
McKenzie and colleagues worked with researchers in Ohio State University's departments of design and engineering to come up with the new spray bottle design. After a person releases the triggers, the mechanism "relocks" automatically — there's nothing you have to do to lock it, McKenzie said.
The researchers have filed for a patent on their design and are looking for a partner, such as a spray bottle manufacturer or a cleaning product company, to license their product, McKenzie said.
"We're anxious to see this product on the shelves so we can have an impact and reduce injures and keep kids safe," McKenzie said.
Copyright 2013 Thomson Reuters.