Would you give up sex for Internet access?
April 12, 2012 at 2:39 PM ET
"What would you trade for Internet access?" That's the question the Boston Consulting Group posed to survey participants across the globe. The results from the USA might surprise you:
- 21 percent would stop having sex. It's like saying: "Sorry honey, I would rather read Kim Kardashian's Twitter feed."
- 84 percent would ditch their GPS. Let the "Why don't we just ask for directions?" fights commence.
- 83 percent would say good-bye to fast food. We finally found what would break America's drive-thru obsession.
- 77 percent would cut out chocolate. Which means 23 percent of people are crazy enough about cocoa beans to keep their candy instead of the world wide web.
- 73 percent would skip happy hour for good. Let's toast to the web: Nearly three-quarters of Americans would abstain from alcoholic beverages in order to go on the Internet.
- 43 percent would put an end to exercising. Any excuse to skip the gym, right?
- 10 percent would throw away their car keys. The skyrocketing price of gas doesn't hurt either.
5 Ways to Heat Up Your Sex Life
And the kicker:
7 percent would stop showering. That's right, people are willing to give up basic hygiene for Words With Friends, which we can't help but think might actually limit real life friends.
Bringing The Sexy Back
And it seems that our counterparts across the pond are even more digitally dependent than Americans: A whopping 17 percent of Brits would forego bathing for an entire year in order to get web access. These findings are astounding and a bit disturbing. With a growing number of studies showing how technology can do a number on our health, from messing up sleep patterns to hurting self-esteem, we can't help but wonder…Is it time for a digital detox?
40 Things You Should Know About Sex By Age 40
5 Ways Your Job Is Making You Fat
Is Facebook Ruining Your Self-Esteem?
The 8 Best Cities for Singles Over 40