updated 1/12/2006 9:38:00 PM ET 2006-01-13T02:38:00

Jurors saw dramatic video Thursday of prison guards frantically trying to open the cell door of John Geoghan, then dragging another inmate out after he strangled the child-molesting former priest.

As the murder trial of Joseph Druce continued for a second day, the images — some in real time, others in time-lapse photography — conveyed the guards’ desperate attempts to open the door after they realized Druce was inside.

Several guards are seen pulling on the door, which Druce had jammed shut with a book and nail clippers. After the guards retrieve tools to open it, Druce is seen being dragged from the cell. The crime itself is not visible on the tape.

Druce was in Geoghan’s cell about four minutes before the guards discovered him there, officials estimate. It was then another nine minutes before the guards got him out.

Geoghan, who was 68 when he died in August 2003, was serving a nine- to 10-year sentence for groping a 10-year-old boy but had been accused in lawsuits of molesting 150 youngsters.

Also Thursday, an investigator testified that Druce told him he had “conned” Geoghan into believing he intended only to hold him hostage and wouldn’t hurt him.

Defendant was ‘pleased with himself’
Druce appeared “pleased with himself” as he confessed shortly after he was pulled from the cell, said Edward Hammond, an internal affairs investigator for the Correction Department.

“’I killed the child molester. ... He won’t touch any more kids,”’ Hammond said Druce boasted.

Testimony ended Thursday afternoon because Druce was feeling ill. He was in pain from chest stitches from surgery last fall to remove a television cable he had swallowed, said his attorney, John LaChance, and also was off schedule on his Ritalin medication.

LaChance is mounting an insanity defense. He says his client is mentally ill and was driven by an “irresistible impulse” to kill the defrocked priest.

Geoghan helped set off the sex scandal in the Roman Catholic Church after court records were unsealed showing that Boston Archdiocese officials allowed him to continue having contact with children even after the abuse allegations surfaced.

Druce, 40, faces life in prison without parole if convicted of first-degree murder. He is already serving a life sentence for killing a hitchhiker who allegedly made a sexual pass at him. He unsuccessfully used an insanity defense during that 1989 trial.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments