updated 1/17/2006 9:57:53 AM ET 2006-01-17T14:57:53

Hong Kong newspapers reported Tuesday that Beijing has unveiled a plan to build a Disney theme park by 2010, but Walt Disney Co. denied having any such plans "at this time."

"Disney has no plans to build a park in Beijing at this time," Disney said in a statement.

The South China Morning Post reported that in a key document presented at Beijing's ongoing municipal people's congress, the city's development and reform commission suggests the theme part will be one of up to 10 facilities established in the Daxing district's National New Media Base.

The English-language daily said Beijing's bid to build the park in the southern suburb suggests that Shanghai's plan to set up a similar park will be forced off the drawing board, and that Beijing has secured central government support for the project.

Chinese-language newspapers Sing Tao Daily and Oriental Daily reported that Beijing's mayor Wang Qishan revealed the investment plan Sunday during the congress meeting.

"Media reports that claim Disney is building a park in Beijing are inaccurate and not based on fact," the Disney statement said, quoting Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Public Affairs senior vice president Leslie Goodman.

A spokeswoman of the Economic Development and Labor Bureau in Hong Kong reiterated in a statement that Disney has never ruled out a second theme park in China, but that it has also publicly confirmed that a second park will not open before 2010.

Although the number of visitors remains undisclosed, the attendance rate at the Disneyland theme park in Hong Kong has been "satisfactory," according to the management.

The park, which officially opened last September, is expected to continue to draw mainland visitors at least until another one opens in China.

The Hong Kong government entered into an agreement with Walt Disney to inject near $3.22 billion in building the park in the territory. Disney stands to receive 47 percent of net profit, with the remaining 53 percent going to the government.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments

Data: Latest rates in the US

Home equity rates View rates in your area
Home equity type Today +/- Chart
$30K HELOC FICO 5.03%
$30K home equity loan FICO 5.68%
$75K home equity loan FICO 4.87%
Credit card rates View more rates
Card type Today +/- Last Week
Low Interest Cards 13.42%
13.42%
Cash Back Cards 17.94%
17.94%
Rewards Cards 17.15%
17.15%
Source: Bankrate.com