updated 2/12/2006 12:41:24 AM ET 2006-02-12T05:41:24

Hot, gusty weather remained a threat Saturday as firefighters mopped up two wildfires that burned through 11,000 acres of dry brushland in Southern California. No homes were threatened.

In Orange County, a 10,854-acre blaze was 93 percent contained and was expected to be completely extinguished Sunday, said Capt. Steve Miller of the Orange County Fire Authority.

Eight firefighters suffered minor injuries battling the blaze and 564 remained on the fire lines, Miller said.

The blaze apparently was ignited by remnants of a Feb. 2 controlled burn in the Cleveland National Forest, according to the U.S. Forest Service. Hundreds of homes were threatened over two days.

So far, the fire has cost $6.9 million to fight and the final bill may reach $9 million, which the Forest Service has said it will pay.

In San Diego County, a 35-acre fire that broke out Wednesday near the mountain town of Julian was contained Saturday. A few fire engines remained on the scene 40 miles northeast of San Diego in case flames flared up in the grass, brush and fallen timber.

Authorities have arrested a 37-year-old man suspected of starting the blaze after he may have camped in the area.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments