updated 4/28/2006 2:37:41 PM ET 2006-04-28T18:37:41

A fire that damaged a house this week is being blamed on the family dog. Investigators determined that the fire started in the kitchen near the stove.

The dog "appears to have jumped up on or against the stove, where there were remnants of a lunch the family had made and did what dogs do," Deputy Chief Tom Zottie said.

The stove was somehow turned on, Zottie said. It was an older model gas stove, so the knob would only have to be turned to ignite.

No one was home when flames broke out at the house on Monday afternoon. Firefighters were able to get the fire under control within two hours, and the dog escaped.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments