updated 10/3/2006 7:47:23 PM ET 2006-10-03T23:47:23

Prosecutors said Tuesday they will seek the death penalty against two men accused of terrorizing the Phoenix area in a series of random shootings.

Samuel John Dieteman, 30, and Dale S. Hausner, 33, are charged with first-degree murder and attempted murder for allegedly killing two people and wounding 14 others in a string of shootings since May. They have pleaded not guilty.

“These men stand accused of a spree of cold blooded murder and random violence unprecedented in our community,” Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas said in a statement. “This campaign of terrorism is fully deserving of the ultimate penalty allowed by law.”

Police also are trying to determine whether they’re linked to 21 other shootings that date back to May 2005. In all, the shootings grouped in the Serial Shooter investigation left seven people dead and 17 wounded.

Dieteman’s attorney declined to comment Tuesday, and Hausner’s attorney wasn’t immediately available for comment.

The investigation of Dieteman and Hausner is one of two serial predator cases Phoenix police have been investigating this year.

In August, police arrested parolee Mark Goudeau in connection with the “Baseline Killer” investigation. Goudeau has been charged in a sexual attack on two sisters last year. Police also are checking whether he is connected to 22 other attacks that left eight people dead.

Goudeau has pleaded not guilty.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments