BUFFALO, N.Y. — A western New York family had a crisis on its hands when their dog died after giving birth to 14 puppies.
Don't miss these Health stories
More women opting for preventive mastectomy - but should they be?
- Larry Page's damaged vocal cords: Treatment comes with trade-offs
- Report questioning salt guidelines riles heart experts
- CDC: 2012 was deadliest year for West Nile in US
- What stresses moms most? Themselves, survey says
- More women opting for preventive mastectomy - but should they be?
A dozen of the Newfoundland-Saint Bernard puppies survived — but they needed milk, and fast.
Luckily, the Pufpaff family found a surrogate. A friend’s dog who just had puppies was pressed into service.
Laura Pufpaff says within hours, the motherless pups went from near death to completely healthy.
The friend’s dog is now mothering 20 puppies — her own eight plus the 12 orphans. Family and friends are pitching in to help. Things can get crazy at feeding time, when laundry baskets are used to lug the pups around.
© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.