Image: Housefire
Keith Srakocic  /  AP
Firemen gather near a home in Waynesburg, Pa., where a fire swept through on Saturday.
updated 2/18/2007 10:12:02 PM ET 2007-02-19T03:12:02

Natural gas service had been turned off nearly two years ago at a house where a woman and six children died in a fire and another person was seriously injured, officials said Sunday.

Fire swept through the house early Saturday, killing six children ages 2 through 10 and a woman who was the mother of three of the children. Another person was in serious condition Sunday.

Family members said the house had a wood-burning stove and authorities said they found several small space heaters throughout the home. The temperature had dropped to minus-1 degree overnight Friday, according to the National Weather Service.

The house in Franklin Township, about 35 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, had been without natural gas service since May 2005, said Patricia Kornick, spokeswoman for Equitable Resources, which serves the area. She would not say why service was terminated.

Autopsies performed Sunday showed the victims died from carbon monoxide poisoning, smoke inhalation and burns.

The state police are investigating the fire, but a cause has not yet been determined.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Discussion comments


Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments