updated 4/6/2007 3:11:29 PM ET 2007-04-06T19:11:29

Passengers aboard five flights from New York City were evacuated and screened at their destination cities as authorities tried to find a man who breached security at John F. Kennedy International Airport, officials said Friday.

  1. Don't miss these Travel stories
    1. Lords of the gourd compete for Punkin Chunkin honors

      With teams using more than 100 unique apparatuses to launch globular projectiles a half-mile or more, the 27th annual World Championship Punkin Chunkin event is our pick as November’s Weird Festival of the Month.

    2. Airports, airlines work hard to return your lost items
    3. Expert: Tourist hordes threaten Sistine Chapel's art
    4. MGM Grand wants Las Vegas guests to Stay Well
    5. Report: Airlines collecting $36.1B in fees this year

No arrests were made and no one was detained at any of the five airports where the flights landed Thursday, Transportation Security Administration spokesman Christopher White said. The flights went to Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Palm Beach, Salt Lake City and San Diego, he said.

"We had no specific intelligence indicating the suspect was on board one of the flights," White said. "But there was the small likelihood that the individual could have gotten on a flight."

FBI and Salt Lake airport police determined the man was not aboard Delta flight 1565, which arrived in Salt Lake at 7:30 p.m. MDT Thursday, said Ron Malin, the TSA's acting security director at Salt Lake City International Airport.

Earlier that day, a man breached security at JFK airport's Terminal 3, causing security officials to evacuate parts of two terminals, delaying some flights for hours, authorities said. TSA workers and officials with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the airport, have been unable to locate the man, White said.

The five flights were singled out because they shut their doors and began takeoff just after the security breach was announced at JFK, White said.

There were about 140 passengers aboard the flight that arrived in Orlando at about 8:15 p.m., airport spokeswoman Carolyn Fennell said. The passengers were searched on the tarmac and released by 9:40 p.m. she said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Discussion comments


Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments