updated 4/16/2007 8:02:08 AM ET 2007-04-16T12:02:08

The director of the U.S. Peace Corps will monitor the search for a U.S. Peace Corps volunteer missing for a week in a remote northern Philippine village while hiking solo, officials said Monday.

Ronald Tschetter was to arrive in Manila late Monday then travel to the township of Banaue on Tuesday to meet with American and Filipino authorities involved in the search for Julia Campbell, 40, from Fairfax, Va., a U.S. Embassy statement said.

Philippine authorities said they have beefed up a mountain search for the woman, but have found no new clues on her whereabouts.

Thirty police joined 50 other officers, U.S. Embassy personnel, army troops and local travel guides in combing forests and hiking trails for Campbell, said regional police Chief Superintendent Raul Gonzales.

She was last seen April 8 in Banaue in Ifugao province, about 160 miles north of Manila, where she had planned to hike alone to the area's famed mountainside rice terraces, said U.S. Embassy spokesman Matthew Lussenhop.

Gonzales said Campbell was last seen around 5 p.m. of that day when she made a stop to buy soft drinks from a store in the village of Batad.

"She loves to walk and she could have slid and fallen on the steep cliffs there, or she could have been taken by some locals," Gonzales said in a telephone interview. "We are looking at all of that in our investigation."

Appeal for information
The embassy appealed to the public for any information on the woman, and offered a reward.

Several thousand missing-person flyers have been posted throughout the area and searches were being conducted on foot and by helicopter, Lussenhop said.

Army Maj. Gen. Rodrigo Maclang said members of an army company in Banaue joined the search on Saturday. Military helicopters were flying over the rugged terrain, but Gonzales said a fog obscured the view.

Maclang said residents told the military that Campbell arrived on April 8 by motorcycle taxi at a road junction leading to Batad, from where she planned to hike to a spot to view the rice terraces.

She had also contacted a local masseuse to meet her at the Village Inn in Batad, but did not show up for her appointment that day, Maclang said.

Militants not a concern
He said Campbell had a bus reservation to go back to Manila on April 9 to catch a flight the following day. He did not know where she was headed to from the Philippine capital.

Maclang said there is only a small military presence in the area because "it is not a major concern now with regard to the (communist) insurgency."

Campbell is one of 137 Peace Corps volunteers currently in the Philippines. She has been teaching college students in Albay province's Legazpi city, southeast of Manila, since March 2005.

In 1990, the NPA seized Peace Corps volunteer Timothy Swanson and held him for 50 days on central Negros island. He was later released unharmed.

In June that year, the U.S. government ordered the evacuation of Peace Corps workers from the Philippines after receiving intelligence that rebels may try to kill or kidnap them. But by that time, Swanson already was in rebel hands.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Discussion comments


Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments