updated 5/8/2007 1:26:33 AM ET 2007-05-08T05:26:33

Convalescing leader Fidel Castro on Monday linked last week’s deadly hijacking attempt to an American court’s decision to free anti-communist militant Luis Posada Carriles on bond.

In his latest communique, e-mailed to journalists by the Foreign Ministry, Castro said that two defecting Cuban soldiers who tried to hijack a U.S.-bound plane and killed an army official in the process were encouraged by the lax U.S. handling of violent acts against the island nation.

In Castro’s statement, the latest of five in recent weeks entitled “Reflections of the Commander of Chief,” the 80-year-old leader described the attempted hijacking as “a consequence of freeing the monster of terror.”

“The impunity and the material benefits that have been rewarded for nearly half a century for all violent action against Cuba stimulate such acts,” the statement said. “For many months nothing similar has occurred,” it continued. “It only takes the stunning liberation of a known terrorist and death again is visited upon our homes.”

Communist Cuba for weeks has protested a U.S. judge’s decision to release the 79-year-old Posada on bond while he awaits a Friday hearing on immigration fraud charges.

Posada is being held under house arrest at his family’s home in Miami, and is wearing an electronic monitoring device.

Cuba and Venezuela accuse him of being the mastermind of a 1976 Cubana airliner bombing that killed 73 people, and Caracas is seeking his extradition for trial in that case. Cuba also accuses him of orchestrating a string of 1997 Havana hotel bombings, including one that killed an Italian tourist.

Posada denies involvement in both cases.

Castro has not been seen in public in more than nine months since announcing he had undergone emergency intestinal surgery and ceding his presidential functions to his 75-year-old brother Raul, the defense minister.

But senior Cuban officials have been giving increasingly optimistic reports about the elder Castro’s recovery and in recent weeks he has been penning a series of messages, many of them dealing with international issues.

Hijack attempt from defecting soldiers
Last week’s hijacking attempt was made by two of three Cuban soldiers who escaped from their military post the previous weekend, killing a sentry and wounding a second before taking off with automatic rifles.

According to the government, one of the three defecting soldiers was captured before the hijacking attempt. But the other two commandeered a city bus with eight people aboard, forced the driver to travel to the airport and marched the group on board an empty plane and demanded to be flown to the U.S.

While on the craft, an army lieutenant colonel who had been on the bus was fatally shot when he tried to stop the defecting soldiers, according to an Interior Ministry statement. Castro’s communique said the officer was shot four times.

Castro wrote that the soldiers had not yet been tried, because both men had been wounded, one of them shot, during the hijacking attempt.

“Now many people abroad are awaiting for the reaction of the courts and the Council of State before a people profoundly indignant by what has happened,” Castro wrote, referring to widespread speculation about the trial and possible death sentences for the soldiers.

“A great deal of serenity and a cool head are needed to face these problems,” he added.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments