updated 9/14/2007 7:43:51 PM ET 2007-09-14T23:43:51

More than $300,000 has been donated to the families of the nine men who died inside the collapsed Utah mine last month, Huntington's mayor said.

Money started arriving at City Hall in the days after the Aug. 6 collapse, which trapped six miners 1,500 feet below ground. Two other miners and a federal inspector died in a cave-in Aug. 16, and the efforts to retrieve the original victims ended.

Each of the nine families has received at least $15,000 so far, said Mayor Hilary Gordon, who established and controls the two funds. Donations are still arriving, and the city plans to keep disbursing donations to families in equal amounts.

The mayor said the money includes $100,000 from Peter Green, a former executive at the Crandall Canyon mine.

"People have been extremely generous," Gordon said.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments