JERUSALEM — After nearly a month of official silence, Israel confirmed on Tuesday that its air force carried out a strike inside Syrian territory on Sept 6.
Israel had until now refused to confirm or deny that any air strike had taken place, though the incident was publicly confirmed by Syrian and Western officials.
Israeli officials said the air strike took place deep inside Syria last month.
Military censors continued to censor other details, including the target and what kind of forces took part.
Syrian President Bashar Assad told the British Broadcasting Corp. on Monday that Israeli warplanes attacked an “unused military building” after air defense systems confronted the aircraft last month and said Damascus reserves the right to retaliate.
Some U.S. officials have linked the raid to apparent Israeli suspicions of secret nuclear cooperation between Damascus and North Korea.
Damascus and North Korea have denied any nuclear cooperation.
Other reports suggested that the raid may have targeted Iranian arms bound for the Lebanese Hezbollah guerrilla movement and one said it was aimed at testing new Syrian air defences.
Diplomats in Damascus say at least four Israeli warplanes crossed deep into Syria during last month’s operation. against Syria on Sept. 6.
© 2013 msnbc.com