updated 10/4/2007 7:32:58 AM ET 2007-10-04T11:32:58

Two men arrested earlier this week in connection with a suspected plot to bomb the U.S. Embassy will remain in custody during the investigation, authorities said Thursday.

A suspect identified as Asim C., a 42-year-old Bosnian, was arrested Monday after embassy guards found his bag packed with grenades, plastic explosives and pieces of metal, police said.

He fled but was captured nearby after tossing the backpack into the street. It did not explode, and no one was injured, authorities said.

Police later arrested a second suspect, another Bosnian identified as Mehmed D., 34, in Tulln, a town about 15 miles west of Vienna.

A judge has ruled that both must remain in custody during the investigation, said Gerhard Jarosch, a spokesman for the prosecutor’s office. Their detention will be evaluated in two weeks, he said.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments