J.D. Pooley  /  AP
Kenneth Richey gets into his attorney's car after being freed Monday outside of the Putnam County Jail in Ottawa, Ohio.
updated 1/7/2008 2:59:36 PM ET 2008-01-07T19:59:36

A British citizen who spent two decades on Ohio's death row was released from jail Monday after pleading no contest to three charges related to a fire that killed a 2-year-old girl.

Ken Richey, who once came within an hour of being executed, walked free for the first time since he was convicted of setting a northwest Ohio apartment fire that killed the toddler in 1986.

Prosecutors approved the deal after an appeals court overturned Richey's conviction and death sentence last year. The deal let Richey, a U.S.-British citizen, go home to Scotland without admitting that he had anything to do with the fire.

Richey pleaded no contest to attempted involuntary manslaughter, child endangering and breaking and entering. His hands were cuffed in front of him during the half-hour hearing in Putnam County Common Pleas Court.

A no-contest plea is not an admission of guilt but a statement that no defense will be offered, leaving the defendant subject to being judged guilty and punished.

Must leave U.S. shortly
As part of the deal, Richey, 43, agreed to leave the country within a day, and plans to depart for Scotland on Tuesday. Prosecutors told him they were worried about threats against Richey, his family and attorney said.

He'll be free, though, to return to the United States, because he's a citizen.

Richey had been set to get out three weeks ago until a trip to the hospital for chest pains delayed his release. He's been in a county jail in Ottawa since then.

Richey was convicted of setting a fire that killed 2-year-old Cynthia Collins and stayed on death row until a federal appeals court determined in August that his lawyers mishandled his case.

The court overturned his conviction and sentence, saying expert testimony could have contended that the fire was an accident and not intentionally set.

Richey was sent to a county jail after the decision, and the state was set to try him again in March and seek another death sentence.

Instead, Richey pleaded no contest to the state's charges accusing him of telling the toddler's mother he would baby-sit the girl, but failing to do so and leaving her in harm's way.

Well-known case in Britain
Richey's case has generated limited interest in Ohio, but his name is a familiar one in Britain where there is no death penalty. He drew support from members of the British Parliament and the late Pope John Paul II.

Richey plans to spend his first night of freedom playing video games and watching movies _ Superman III, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and Transformers _ said his brother, Steve.

He'll leave for Scotland on Tuesday and stay with his mother in Edinburgh. He's said he might live on a farm, travel around Scotland, or maybe open his own nightclub. "I don't know what I'm going to do," he said.

He also wants to write a book and speak out against the death penalty.

"That's something I've got to do," he said. "There's still a lot of innocent people on death row that don't have a voice."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Discussion comments


Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments