Tour Manager To Be Sentenced Over Deadly 2003 Nightclub Fire
Pool  /  Getty Images file
Daniel M. Biechele, shown in 2006, sent each family a handwritten letter after his sentencing to express his remorse.
updated 3/19/2008 2:22:59 PM ET 2008-03-19T18:22:59

The band manager whose pyrotechnics display sparked a nightclub fire that killed 100 people in 2003 was freed from prison Wednesday after serving less than half of his four-year sentence.

Daniel Biechele, 31, walked from the front door of the state's minimum security prison into his lawyer's car about noon Wednesday and was driven away. He did not respond to questions as he got into the vehicle.

His attorney, Thomas Briody, has declined to comment on Biechele's future plans, but Florida prison officials have said Biechele would serve his parole there, in his home state.

Biechele, the former tour manager for the 1980s rock band Great White, pleaded guilty in 2006 to 100 counts of involuntary manslaughter for his part in the fire at The Station nightclub in West Warwick.

Sparks from the pyrotechnics display lit at the start of Great White's set on the night of Feb. 20, 2003, ignited flammable foam that lined the walls and ceiling of the one-story wooden roadhouse. The flames sent out toxic black smoke and created temperatures so high that most of the dead were killed within minutes. Panicked concertgoers became trapped at the club's front door. More than 200 people were injured.

Biechele was indicted along with club owners Jeffrey and Michael Derderian on 200 counts each of involuntary manslaughter. He was to have been the first of the three men to stand trial, but instead struck a plea deal with prosecutors. He got four years, plus an additional 11 years suspended and three years probation.

The parole board unanimously decided in September to release Biechele early, saying he had shown genuine remorse and had the support of family members of those killed.

Many family members have said they appreciated Biechele's apologies — he sent each family a handwritten letter after his sentencing to express his remorse. He also tearfully apologized at his sentencing hearing, saying he wasn't sure he could ever forgive himself, and didn't expect forgiveness from anyone else.

Several believe the Derderian brothers bear the largest part of the blame. Many also complain that others were not charged — including members of Great White and the town fire inspector, who inspected the club several times but never noted the dangerous foam in his reports.

Michael Derderian, also serving a four-year sentence after pleading no contest to involuntary manslaughter for installing the foam, is due out on parole in October 2009. Jeffrey Derderian was spared prison time and sentenced instead to probation and 500 hours of community service, a sentence he completed last year.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Discussion comments


Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments