Image: Students leave school after shooting
Nati Harnik  /  AP
Students and their parents who came to collect them, leave King Science and Technology magnet school in Omaha, Neb., Thursday, April 24, 2008.
updated 4/25/2008 8:37:37 PM ET 2008-04-26T00:37:37

Police searched Friday for the source of an errant bullet that was fired less than mile from a school soccer game, hitting an eighth-grade player who was recovering from surgery.

About 100 children were in and around King Science and Technology Magnet School Thursday afternoon when the bullet struck 14-year-old Taylor Borgeson's face. Police said teen's injuries suggest he was struck by a discharged round that was falling.

Omaha police spokeswoman Darci Tierney said Friday that investigators believe the bullet that injured was fired about 3,200 feet away from the school field.

Police questioned five people and discovered a nearby home that had been struck with several bullets. But Tierney said those five were released because police didn't have enough evidence to make any arrests.

A Creighton University Medical Center spokesman said Friday that Borgeson's latest condition was not being released.

'Your worst fear'
Nelson said teachers also told students that what happened to Borgeson was a random act and was not directed at the school. Counselors were also available to students.

King Science and Technology Magnet School was briefly locked down after the player was shot.

Steven Bryant, parent of a fifth-grader who attends the school, was on his way home from a job site when he saw a fire truck, ambulance and police cars around the school and "thought the worst."

"I just thought, don't let it be a mass thing," Bryant said. "It's just your worst fear."

Counselors on hand for students
In December, police responded to a shooting spree at an Omaha shopping mall. Eight people were fatally shot and three wounded before 19-year-old gunman Robert Hawkins took his own life.

Luanne Nelson, spokeswoman for the Omaha Public School District, said counselors will be available to students Friday.

Parents in the city were already on edge after threats this week at Westside High School. Officials there said that written threats were found in a school bathroom and that the windows had been shot out of more than a dozen students' cars.

Parents of about 200 students kept their children home from school Wednesday.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Discussion comments


Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments