CHICAGO — Detectives believe the 7-year-old nephew of Jennifer Hudson was probably shot in the sport-utility vehicle where his body was later found, a police official said Thursday.
Officials think Julian King was alive when he left the house where his uncle and grandmother were killed last week, said the official, who was not authorized to discuss the case publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.
The official would not elaborate on when detectives think the boy died.
Police spokeswoman Monique Bond said she could not comment about the official's statements.
All three victims had been shot
The bodies of the singer and Oscar-winning actress' mother, 57-year-old Darnell Donerson, and brother, 29-year-old Jason Hudson, were found Oct. 24 inside their home on Chicago's South Side. Julian's body was discovered Monday in the SUV on the city's West Side. All three had been shot.
Balfour, who is Julian's stepfather, had refused to take a lie-detector test and has stopped cooperating with detectives, the official said Wednesday.
It was unclear whether Balfour had an attorney.
Police Superintendent Jody Weis said Thursday that a gun found a day earlier in a vacant lot around the corner from where the SUV had been parked was a .45-caliber weapon. It was sent to Illinois State Police for testing.
Weis said preliminary tests suggest the weapon used was a .45-caliber gun, but tests should determine whether the gun found in the lot was the one used. It will be compared with shell casings found at the Hudson home, he said.
Meanwhile, a funeral home announced Thursday that services for Hudson's mother, brother and nephew will be held Monday morning. The service at Apostolic Church of God on Chicago's South Side will be closed to the public.
Kicked out of home
Balfour's mother, Michele Balfour, has said Hudson's mother kicked Balfour out of the family home last winter. She denied her son had anything to do with the killings.
Records show that Balfour was arrested with cocaine in his car in June, but authorities declined to return him to prison on a parole violation.
Corrections Department spokesman Derek Schnapp said officials who reviewed the cocaine-possession case against Balfour determined "the evidence that was presented during that time wouldn't have necessarily warranted a violation."
A judge dismissed the charge in July for lack of probable cause, but under the strict rules of the state's parole program, Balfour could have gone back to prison just for the arrest.
Balfour served seven years for a 1999 attempted murder and vehicular hijacking conviction.
The Illinois Department of Corrections issued a warrant for Balfour on Saturday for violating terms of his parole by possessing a weapon and failing to attend anger management counseling and a substance abuse program, according to his parole history report.
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.