Image: Destroyed minibus in North Ossetia
Kazbek Basayev  /  AFP - Getty Images
A deadly explosion erupted as passengers left this minibus in Vladikavkaz, Russia, on Thursday.
updated 11/6/2008 11:52:24 AM ET 2008-11-06T16:52:24

President Dmitry Medvedev said Friday that the bus stop bomb blast in the troubled North Caucasus in which at least a dozen people died shows that terrorism remains a threat for Russia.

Among those killed were a woman authorities believe set off the explosion Thursday in North Ossetian regional capital, Vladikavkaz, the regional Interior Ministry said.

Investigators had said Thursday that 11 people were killed, and Russian media reported that a woman wounded in the blast died overnight. Dozens were injured.

Medvedev said the attack underscored the persistent threat of terrorism in Russia, which was plagued by bombings and other attacks in the late 1990s and earlier this decade — many claimed by or blamed on Chechen militants.

"This event has shown that a terrorist threat remains in our country," he said in televised remarks. "We must not let our guard down."

The explosion was the deadliest in years in North Ossetia, which was the site of the 2004 Beslan school seizure and other terrorist attacks.

The region borders war-scarred Chechnya as well as Georgia's breakaway South Ossetia region, where Russia and Georgia battled during their August war.

The RIA-Novosti news agency cited the head of the federal Investigative Committee as saying there was no evidence of a link with Georgia. Alexander Bastrykin also said the bombing could have been connected to discord between ethnic Ossetians and Ingush, which persists after deadly fighting over territorial claims in 1992.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments