updated 1/25/2009 3:06:52 PM ET 2009-01-25T20:06:52

Washington fire officials say the Eisenhower Executive Office Building near the White House was evacuated briefly after smoke from a fireplace clouded one of the floors.

Firefighters were called to the building on 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue around 1 p.m. Sunday.

Fire spokesman Alan Etter says firefighters extinguished a fire in a fireplace on the second floor. They believe an obstruction in a chimney caused light smoke to build up on the fourth floor. No damage was reported.

The Secret Service evacuated the building for about 30 minutes as a precaution. There were a few people inside the building, which houses White House staff.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments