updated 2/1/2009 1:45:04 PM ET 2009-02-01T18:45:04

Investigators believe a gasoline-powered generator running a fan for inflatable playhouses produced carbon monoxide at a child's birthday party, sending 17 people to a hospital.

  1. Don't miss these Health stories
    1. Splash News
      More women opting for preventive mastectomy - but should they be?

      Rates of women who are opting for preventive mastectomies, such as Angeline Jolie, have increased by an estimated 50 percent in recent years, experts say. But many doctors are puzzled because the operation doesn't carry a 100 percent guarantee, it's major surgery -- and women have other options, from a once-a-day pill to careful monitoring.

    2. Larry Page's damaged vocal cords: Treatment comes with trade-offs
    3. Report questioning salt guidelines riles heart experts
    4. CDC: 2012 was deadliest year for West Nile in US
    5. What stresses moms most? Themselves, survey says

Children were playing in two large Moonbounce balloon playhouses that were being kept inflated by the fan, Fire Department Capt. John Cleary said Sunday.

Six of those sickened at Saturday's party were ages 3 to 16.

None of the injuries was considered life threatening.

Most of those who were sickened were expected to be released Sunday, Cleary said. Two children were being treated in a hyperbaric chamber and it wasn't clear when they would be released.

The incident happened inside the H & H Community Development Center. Cleary said he did not know if the generator was inside or outside the community center hall.

Although the investigation was still under way, officials believe the generator was to blame, Cleary said.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments