Image: George Weber
ABC News Radio via AP file
George Weber, a longtime New York City radio reporter, was found dead Sunday in his Brooklyn apartment, bound with duct tape and stabbed about 50 times.
updated 3/25/2009 11:42:31 AM ET 2009-03-25T15:42:31

Police arrested a teenager on Wednesday in the slaying of a veteran New York City radio reporter who was found in his apartment bound with duct tape and stabbed about 50 times.

New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said the 16-year-old suspect made statements implicating himself in George Weber's death.

The teen was taken into custody Tuesday night in Middletown, N.Y.

Weber apparently allowed the teen into his Brooklyn home after they met through Craigslist.

Police found Weber's body Sunday in the bedroom of this Brooklyn apartment, bound at the ankles with duct tape. Water was left running in a sink and a tub, possibly to clean up the crime scene, police have said. Wounds on his hands indicate he tried to fight back.

Authorities said Wednesday the teenager was treated for cuts on the night Weber was killed. Police believe he was killed Friday, but his body was found Sunday after his boss reported him missing.

A transit worker saw the teen bleeding on Friday night and police took him to a hospital. He was released after saying he had cut himself on a bottle.

Weber worked for WABC for 12 years as the on-air reporter for popular shows like "Curtis and Kuby." The station let him go amid programming changes last year, and he had since worked as a freelancer for ABC News Radio, the national network. His last newscast was on March 15; in his last blog entry, posted Friday, he talked about working to rid his apartment of bedbugs.

Weber was a veteran radio newsman who worked at stations including KGO in San Francisco and KTLK and KMPC in Los Angeles before coming to New York.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Discussion comments


Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments