updated 5/13/2009 6:54:04 PM ET 2009-05-13T22:54:04

A prosecutor in Northern California has filed vehicular manslaughter charges against the driver of a bus that crashed and killed 11 people.

Colusa County District Attorney John Poyner says Quintin Watts could face nearly 20 years in prison if he is convicted.

Police say Watts fell asleep at the wheel last October while driving his passengers to a casino resort.

Authorities said the 52-year-old driver from Stockton had a series of motor-vehicle offenses and a history of substance abuse.

The prosecutor met with crash victims and their families Monday in Sacramento after the burial of the 11th victim, who had been on life support.

The district attorney's office said Wednesday that Watts does not yet have an attorney to speak for him.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments