The Rachel Maddow Show Guest List
Week of August 3, 2009
Past transcripts by month
- Frank Schaeffer, Huffinton Post contributor and author, "Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back"
- Congressman Anthony Weiner, Democrat of New York
- Nicholas Schmidle, freelance journalist, author, "To Live or to Perish Forever: Two Tumultuous Years in Pakistan"
From the Web:
- Executive producer Bill Wolff previews tonight's topics.
- Another Dem overrun by protesters at town hall
- Frank Schaeffer: Right-Wing Turncoat Gives the Inside Scoop on Why Conservatives Are Rampaging Town Halls
- Frank Schaeffer: Krugman Is Wrong (Again) About Us Obama Backers
- Frank Schaeffer: Evangelicals Are the New Anti-Americans
- Health Care for American Now
- HCAN Playbook for Thwarting Town Hall Protesters
- Democratic National Committee: Setting the record straight on the special interests' attack on health insurance reform
- HealthCare Fact Check
- The current health care bill and committee reports linked on Congressman Anthony Weiner's Web site
- Nicholas Schmidle's Testimony Before the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Nicholas Schmidle: U.S. Drones Have al Qaeda On the Run
- Nicholas Schmidle: Pakistan's Next Fight? Don't Go There.
- Nicholas Schmidle: How To Save Pakistan (April 27, 2009)
- Wisconsin town hall protester exposed
- Congressman Brian Baird, Democrat from Washington
- Tim Phillips, President, Americans for Prosperity
- Jonathan Turley, Law professor, George Washington University
From the Web:
- National Republican Congressional Committee: Recess Roastings: How’s That Healthcare “Offensive” Going?
- AHIP’s “August Recess Talking Points”
- FreedomWorks: August recess action kit (pdf)
- Tim Phillips' Americans for Prosperity
- John Quincy Adams on Twitter
- Uniforms for Iraqi national baseball team are on the way
- Courtesy of Ebbets Field Flannels
Connect the dots:
- Richard L. Scott founded Conservatives for Patients' Rights which encourages its followers to attend town hall meetings and gloats about the sabotage of those meetings.
- Scott currently runs Solantic Corporation (pdf), a chain of health clinics.
- "New York-based Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe, which has $16 billion of capital under its management" invests $100 million in Solantic in 2007.
- "WCAS's investment strategy is to invest in growth-oriented companies within the healthcare and information/business services industries."
- Their list of health care investments is considerable and presumably valuable
- Solantic Appoints Tom Scully to its Board of Directors
Solantic announced the appointment of Tom Scully to its Board of Directors. Mr. Scully is currently a General Partner with New York City Private Equity Firm, Welsh, Carson, Anderson and Stowe (WCAS), the largest private equity investor in healthcare. In addition, Mr. Scully is senior counsel at Alston and Bird, a Washington, DC-based law practice focusing on healthcare regulatory and legislative matters.
- And Scully isn't just a partner with "the largest private equity investor in healthcare" he was also Bush's Medicare administrator. Perhaps you remember him for this scandal or the sweet deal he secured for drug companies.
- CONSERVATIVES FOR PATIENTS' RIGHTS LAUNCHES MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR CAMPAIGN PROMOTING FREE-MARKET HEALTH REFORM SOLUTIONS
- When you connect those dots, do you see an organization motivated by concern for patients?
- Michael Snider, the owner of The Syzzlyn Skillet restaurant outside of Omaha, Nebraska
- Congressman Frank Pallone
- Joel Sawyer, former Communications Director for South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford
From the Web:
- Executive producer Bill Wolff offers a behind the scenes look at the show's production.
- Academy Backs Living-Will Legislation Introduced in Senate (April 8, 2005!!)
- GOP To DNC: You Call It "Mob Rule," Americans Call It "Democracy"
- The Recess Rally is August 22
- The Syzzlyn Skillet
- Health Care ad targets Senator Ben Nelson
- Ben Nelson Personally Calls Nebraskan Who Ripped Him In Health Care Ad
- NYTimes: Latest Updates on Iran’s Post-Election Crisis (includes protest video shown on the air)
- Russian Subs Patrolling Off East Coast of U.S.
- Forged letters to congressman anger local groups
- Group pushes 'clean coal' in ad blitz
- "I can take you to places in eastern Kentucky where community services were hampered because of a lack of flat space — to build factories, to build hospitals, even to build schools," said Joe Lucas of Americans for Clean Coal Electricity. "In many places, mountain-top mining, if done responsibly, allows for land to be developed for community space."
- Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico.
- Democratic Congressman Lloyd Doggett of Texas
- Chris Hayes, Washington editor of the Nation.
- Democratic Congressman Tom Perriello of Virginia
From the Web:
- Executive Producer Bill Wolff with tonight's topics.
- Keith Olbermann makes a surprise appearance in a Bill Wolff Bubble Tweet.
- Shouting overwhelms Kagen forum on health care
- ObamaCare Likely to Mandate Free "Sex-Change" Surgeries
- NRCC Celebrates "Recess Roasting"
- Miami 'Riot' Squad: Where Are They Now? (January 2005)
- Gallup: Political Party Affiliation: 30 States Blue, 4 Red in '09 So Far
- Forged Kenyan Document Splinters ‘Birther’ Movement
- Coal Industry Group Linked to a Dozen Forged Cap-And-Trade Letters
- AARP Bulletin Today: Pulling Strings from Afar
- Hello. I'm calling this evening to mislead you.
- Rachel Maddow is joined by singer/songwriter Jonathan Mann, who wrote a song about Pulitzer Prize-winning economist Paul Krugmann.
- Strange government pitch for clean coal
- No more clean coal Christmas carols?
- Conservatives for Patients' Rights lists Congressional town hall meetings for followers to attack.
- Eugene Robinson, Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist for the Washington Post
- Senator Sherrod Brown
- Jon Ralston, columnist for "The Las Vegas Sun" and the host of "Face to Face with Jon Ralston"
- Ana Marie Cox, national correspondent for Air America Radio and contributor to Playboy Magazine
From the Web:
- Right-Wing Harassment Strategy Against Dems Detailed In Memo: ‘Yell,’ ‘Stand Up And Shout Out,’ ‘Rattle Him’
- Rocking the Town Halls - Best Practices (pdf)
- Help navigating the new GI Bill.
- E-mails show Ensign’s staff knew of affair
- Jon Ralston: Emails between Ensign NRSC lieutenants, Hamptons show affair was known inside organization more than a year ago
- Jon Ralston: Senator, the questions are not going away
- Ana Marie Cox: The Inside Story: Blue Dog Dems Mangle Health Care Reform
- Ana Marie Cox: I Am Never Lonely: A brief history of employee personality testing
- Third Obama birth certificate appears in court
MORE FROM RACHEL MADDOW SHOW
Add Rachel Maddow Show headlines to your news reader: