ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Want to have dinner with former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin? Plan on writing a big check.
Other political news of note
Paul says his economic plan is the only hope for depressed areas such as Detroit
Sen. Rand Paul, a possible contender for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, said Sunday that his plan to spur job creation in high unemployment areas is the only politically viable plan to help depressed cities, with Detroit as the prime example.
- Mandela biographer says prison ‘crucible’ steeled him and led to victory
- Clinton: Mandela's example 'went way beyond political leadership'
- Obamas to attend memorial service for Mandela
- Fasting for reform: Strikers starve over immigration
- Paul says his economic plan is the only hope for depressed areas such as Detroit
The ex-Republican vice presidential candidate is offering the dinner as part of a charity auction on eBay for the Ride 2 Recovery program, which supports wounded veterans through cycling programs.
The 10-day auction starts at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday. The opening bid for dinner for five with Palin is $25,000, and organizers say the winner will have to foot the travel bill to meet up with her, likely in Alaska.
There are nine other celebrity items in the auction, including lunch with former Bush aide Karl Rove. That opening bid is $7,500.
By comparison, $2.1 million was paid in 2008 for a lunch with financial guru Warren Buffett.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.