Image: Space shuttle
Space shuttle Atlantis Mission Specialist Randy Bresnik works during the the second spacewalk of the STS-129 mission at the International Space Staion.
updated 11/21/2009 2:39:58 PM ET 2009-11-21T19:39:58

A spacewalking astronaut put aside the impending birth of his daughter and blazed through his first-ever venture outside the International Space Station on Saturday.

Expectant father Randolph Bresnik and Michael Foreman were so far ahead despite their late start and interrupted sleep the night before — false fire and decompression alarms jolted them awake — that their commander handed them extra work.

"Way to kick butt," said commander Charles Hobaugh, a Marine.

The spacewalkers installed new antennas, relocated a monitor for electrical hazards, set up an attachment for a spectrometer due to arrive next year, and hooked up a wireless video system for spacewalkers' helmet cameras. Then they released another payload platform.

Bresnik was mightily impressed as he started on the work outside.

"Other than seeing my wife for the first time, I don't think I've ever seen a more beautiful face," Bresnik said, gazing down at Earth 220 miles below. "This is amazing."

Bresnik's wife, Rebecca, was back home in Houston, due to give birth to their second child at any moment. They also have a 3-year-old son, adopted from Ukraine.

The delivery had been planned for Friday, but the baby had yet to arrive when the second spacewalk of the weeklong mission started Saturday morning. The astronauts agreed with Mission Control to hold off on any news if the birth occurred during the spacewalk.

Everyone wanted Bresnik, a 42-year-old Marine, focused on the spacewalk because of the extra risk posed by working outside.

As they soared over Houston, the spacewalkers took time for a little sightseeing. They joked that they could see their homes and hear their commander urging, "Get back to work."

Throughout the spacewalk, Foreman, a veteran spacewalker, had trouble hearing inside his helmet. Bresnik's voice was especially faint. "I can't understand you," Foreman called out. Bresnik spoke louder. "Still can't," Foreman said. An astronaut inside had to intercede.

Foreman also missed some of the praise coming his way after accomplishing all the major chores.

The spacewalk was delayed more than an hour by false decompression alarms that rang through the orbiting complex late Friday, for the second night in a row. The high-pitched beeps — emanating from a new Russian research chamber — triggered a series of smoke alarms. The racket woke up the astronauts and disrupted spacewalk preparations.

Right before the spacewalk, the combined crews attached a giant platform full of spare parts to the exterior of the space station, using robot arms. It was the second such shelf to be installed this week. Atlantis hauled up nearly 15 tons of equipment to keep the outpost running long after the shuttles' retirement next year.

One more spacewalk is planned on Monday. The shuttle will remain at the station until the day before Thanksgiving. Landing would be the day after.

More on international space station | spacewalks

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Video: Follow Atlantis’ space mission


Discussion comments


Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments