WASHINGTON — The liberal group MoveOn.org is opposing the Senate health care bill and urging Democrats to block it.
Other political news of note
Animated Boehner: 'There's nothing complex about the Keystone Pipeline!'
- Budget deficits shrinking but set to grow after 2015
- Senate readies another volley on unemployment aid
- Obama faces Syria standstill
- Fluke files to run in California
- Animated Boehner: 'There's nothing complex about the Keystone Pipeline!'
In a letter to members Friday, MoveOn.org complained that the legislation has no government-run insurance option and no expansion of Medicare.
It urged its members to sign a petition saying, "American needs real health care reform — not a massive giveaway to the insurance companies."
The letter also called on members to send a message to Senate progressives such as Bernie Sanders of Vermont, Roland Burris of Illinois and Russ Feingold of Wisconsin to "block this bill until it's fixed."
MoveOn.org says it has 5 million members. Liberals such as Howard Dean have widely criticized the Senate bill.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.