updated 1/19/2010 10:18:20 AM ET 2010-01-19T15:18:20

A 2-year-old Brazilian boy stuck by his stepfather with dozens of sewing needles will be released from the hospital Friday with five needles still in his body.

  1. Don't miss these Health stories
    1. Splash News
      More women opting for preventive mastectomy - but should they be?

      Rates of women who are opting for preventive mastectomies, such as Angeline Jolie, have increased by an estimated 50 percent in recent years, experts say. But many doctors are puzzled because the operation doesn't carry a 100 percent guarantee, it's major surgery -- and women have other options, from a once-a-day pill to careful monitoring.

    2. Larry Page's damaged vocal cords: Treatment comes with trade-offs
    3. Report questioning salt guidelines riles heart experts
    4. CDC: 2012 was deadliest year for West Nile in US
    5. What stresses moms most? Themselves, survey says

Doctors were expected to remove four of the remaining needles on Monday, but decided based on new tests that they don't need to be extracted immediately. A needle in the boy's pubic bone does not cause any danger to his life.

The Ana Neri Hospital said Tuesday in a statement that the needles may be removed in the future in minor procedures that don't require hospitalization.

Police have formally accused the boy's stepfather, Roberto Carlos Magalhaes, and his lover of attempted murder for allegedly sticking 31 needles in the child's body.

Magalhaes told Globo TV last year he wanted to kill the child to spite his wife, with whom he fought a lot.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments