U.S. Rep. Bart Stupak says he won't seek the Democratic nomination for Michigan governor this year and instead will run for re-election.
Stupak said in a statement Tuesday that he believes he can best serve the people of Michigan in Congress.
The former state trooper and a gun-rights advocate holds powerful committee assignments. He has been deeply involved in negotiations over the health care overhaul bill and language restricting how abortions are covered by insurance.
The 57-year-old Stupak has held the 1st District seat in northern Michigan since 1993.
Michigan Lt. Gov. John Cherry, the presumptive Democratic front-runner in the gubernatorial race, withdrew his name earlier this month, opening up the race and drawing the attention of other Democrats.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.