updated 3/4/2010 3:19:57 PM ET 2010-03-04T20:19:57

Health authorities have allowed passengers to leave a cruise ship that had been quarantined in southeastern Brazil after hundreds were stricken with vomiting and diarrhea.

  1. Don't miss these Travel stories
    1. Lords of the gourd compete for Punkin Chunkin honors

      With teams using more than 100 unique apparatuses to launch globular projectiles a half-mile or more, the 27th annual World Championship Punkin Chunkin event is our pick as November’s Weird Festival of the Month.

    2. Airports, airlines work hard to return your lost items
    3. Expert: Tourist hordes threaten Sistine Chapel's art
    4. MGM Grand wants Las Vegas guests to Stay Well
    5. Report: Airlines collecting $36.1B in fees this year

Royal Caribbean spokesman Rodrigo Dionisio says the 310 people who suffered gastrointestinal disorders aboard the Vision of the Seas have recovered.

He says the ship's 1,987 passengers and 765 crew members started leaving the ship Friday morning.

The vessel will undergo a a thorough cleansing before leaving on another cruise later in the day.

The ship arrived in the port of Santos early Friday from the coastal resort town of Buzios where the first case was detected earlier this week.

Most of the ill were Brazilians.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments