updated 7/22/2010 3:37:03 PM ET 2010-07-22T19:37:03

A list of resources for donating or volunteering to help the Gulf coast following the massive oil spill, and to report health or environmental concerns:

Where to donate:

How to volunteer:

To report:

Health concerns:

Environmental concerns:

  • BP's environmental hotline: 866-448-5816
  • BP's wildlife distress hotline: 866-557-1401 Messages on this line are checked hourly. Include the type of animal, location, time, and your contact information in your message. Do not try to help animals yourself — doing so could harm both you and the animal that you are trying to rescue because the chemicals in oil are toxic.
  • Report stranded dolphins or sea turtles to the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies hotline at 1-888-SOS-DOLPHIN (1-888-767-3657).
  • Southeast Marine Mammal Stranding Hotline: 877-433-8299 Or, in Alabama, call 888-767-3657. In Florida, call 888-404-FWCC (3922). In Louisiana, call 504-235-3005. In Mississippi, call 888-806-1674. In Texas, call 800-9MAMMAL. For a directory of Marine Mammal Stranding Network participants, click here.
  • To submit a report online to the Sea Turtle Stranding and Salvage Network, click here.
  • To report injured or orphaned wildlife to the SPCA Wildlife Center, call 954-524-4302 or 866-SOS-WILD.
  • Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary's rescue hotline: 727-391-6211
  • To report a fish kill, call the Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Institute at 1-800-636-0511 or submit a fish kill report online.
  • To report dead birds in Florida, contact the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission by filling out their online form or calling 888-404-3922.
  • U.S. Coast Guard Joint Information Center: 1-985-902-5231
  • To report an oil spill in Texas, call the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality at 1-800-832-8224.
  • Report oil smells or sightings to the National Response Center by calling 800-424-8802.
  • Report damaged, vandalized, adrift, or stolen boom to the Deepwater Horizon Response by calling 1-866-448-5816. In Alabama, call 251-476-1256. To report boom vandalism, oil, or tar balls in Florida, call 877-272-8335; click here for more information. Report tar ball or oil sightings in Mississippi to the Unified Command Situation Unit by calling 251-445-3333.
  • To report on-shore debris in Alabama, call 202-309-9559.
  • If you have claims related to damages caused by the oil spill, call 1-800-440-0858 or submit your claim online.
  • Report the effects of the oil disaster on your iPhone when you download Oil Spill Response or Oil Reporter.

This report includes information from Reuters and The Associated Press.


Discussion comments


Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments