updated 12/24/2003 2:24:34 PM ET 2003-12-24T19:24:34

The parents of slain 6-year-old JonBenet Ramsey filed a $12 million federal defamation lawsuit against Fox News Network over a story they say cast suspicion on them.

In the lawsuit filed Tuesday in Atlanta, John and Patsy Ramsey took issue with a report that aired last year for the six-year anniversary of JonBenet’s death. In it, a Denver-based employee stated there has “never been any evidence to link an intruder to her brutal murder.”
John and Patsy Ramsey have maintained their innocence and said an intruder killed JonBenet, who was found strangled and beaten Dec. 26, 1996, in the basement of their Boulder home. The Ramseys now live in Atlanta.

Prosecutors and a federal judge have said evidence in the case was more consistent with the theory that an intruder killed JonBenet. The parents were never charged.

A Fox employee in Denver referred questions to the network’s New York office. Fox News spokesman Robert Zimmerman said he was unaware of the lawsuit and declined comment.

© 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments