msnbc.com news services
updated 7/14/2010 7:34:26 PM ET 2010-07-14T23:34:26

Eight American troops were killed in a series of attacks in southern Afghanistan, officials said Wednesday as Taliban militants pushed back against an effort to secure the volatile region.

A suicide attacker slammed a car bomb into the gate of the headquarters of the elite Afghan National Civil Order Police late Tuesday in Kandahar, a NATO statement said. Minutes later, insurgents opened fire with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades.

Three U.S. troops, an Afghan policeman and five civilians died in the attack, but NATO said the insurgents failed to enter the compound.

The special police unit, known as ANCOP, had only recently been dispatched to Kandahar to set up checkpoints along with international forces to try to secure the south's largest city, the spiritual birthplace of the Taliban.

The dead civilians included three Afghan translators and two security guards, Kandahar provincial police chief Sardar Mohammad Zazai said.

Taliban spokesman Qari Yousef Ahmadi telephoned reporters Wednesday to claim responsibility for the attack. The insurgents, which are prone to exaggerate death tolls inflicted on Afghan and international security forces, claimed 13 international troops and eight Afghan security forces died in the raid.

Loyalty sought
NATO and Afghan troops are fanning out elsewhere in Kandahar province to pressure insurgents in rural areas. The strategy is to improve security with more and better-trained police and troops so that capable governance can take root and development projects can move forward and win the loyalty of ordinary Afghans.

The Taliban have responded by ratcheting up suicide attacks and bombings, making last month the deadliest of the nearly 9-year-old war for international forces.

Army Brig. Gen. Ben Hodges, a top U.S. commander in southern Afghanistan, said Wednesday that the new Kandahar operation is still in its early stages and security will begin to improve in coming months as American and Afghan forces move into violent areas.

"It's a rising tide," he said. "And that tide is starting to come in now. We're going to start feeling those positive effects here as July turns into August."

Hodges said that in the contested district of Zhari, where the government has far less control than in Kandahar city, the timing of the beginning of combat operations will depend on when the Afghans are ready to take the lead in governing. American military forces could clear these areas quickly and decisively, he said, but doing so without establishing local governance and permanent security forces would have negative consequences.

"All that would accomplish is a lot of casualties, ours as well as Afghans," he said, "and we would create even more insurgents because we'd be leaving."

Experience in neighboring Helmand province has proved how difficult it can be to establish an effective government presence after clearing a militant stronghold.

Officials on Wednesday confirmed that the government representative in the troubled southern district of Marjah had been replaced, barely six months after a major NATO military offensive to retake the area from the Taliban.

Provincial spokesman Daoud Ahmadi said Haji Zahir has been replaced as district chief as part of a "reform procedure." He would not say if Zaher was removed because of continued instability in Marjah. The southern farming town — much like the current Kandahar push — was intended to be a showcase of good Afghan governance after combined Afghan and international forces expelled the Taliban, but authorities have struggled to consolidate their control.

Hodges, the American commander, said Zaher was ousted for refusing to take a qualification test required under Afghan law. He said he did not have details but suspected the test requirement was waived when Zaher was first recruited as district chief.

  1. Click here for related content
    1. NYT: U.S. may label Pakistan militants as terrorists
    2. NYT: U.S. brigade 'safer' in Iraq than at home
    3. Afghans want foreign aid spent on their priorities
    4. Taliban attacks increasingly kill Afghan civilians

Bloody July
On Wednesday, four more American troops were killed by a roadside bomb in the south, while one more U.S. service member died the same day of wounds from a gunbattle.

So far in July, 45 international troops have died in Afghanistan, 33 of them Americans. June saw more than 100 troops killed — the bloodiest month of the nine-year-old war.

Wednesday's deaths bring to 12 the number of foreign troops killed in the past 24 hours.

Another ISAF member died on Wednesday in a separate insurgent attack, NATO said.

In the most shocking incident, three members of the British Gurkha regiment were killed when an Afghan National Army soldier they were serving alongside turned on them with a machine-gun and rocket-propelled grenade before escaping.

NATO and Afghan troops increasingly fight side-by-side against the Taliban as the West tries to pass on more responsibility for security ahead of a gradual withdrawal starting next year.

Officials and politicians have stressed that the policy will continue, but complete trust in your fellow troops is the cornerstone of any fighting force, and Tuesday's incident involving British troops would have shaken that.

The rapid creation of a national army and police force since the Taliban's ousting and following decades of war has seen tens of thousands of Afghans join the security services, and there are fears insurgents may also have signed up.

In other attacks around the country, nine Afghan civilians died in the south when their vehicle hit a roadside bomb in the volatile district of Marjah in Helmand province, the Ministry of Interior said. Another homemade bomb killed two security guards traveling on a road in eastern Paktika province.

Two suspected Taliban also died in Helmand's Lashkar Gar district when the roadside bomb they were trying to plant exploded prematurely, the ministry said.

In another development, Afghanistan's National Security Council has embraced the idea of setting up local defense forces in some parts of the nation.

President Hamid Karzai's office said Wednesday the new Local Police Force will operate under the authority of the Interior Ministry.

The force will operate separately from the Afghan National Police.

NATO Commander Gen. David Petraeus has argued in favor of local defense forces in some areas — essentially residents who defend their own locality.

Karzai has expressed reservations, fearing they would be like local militias that could undermine the central government and possibly fuel civil war.

The interior minister is to provide details of the proposal to the security council at its next meeting.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

Video: Deadly day for U.S. troops in Kandahar

  1. Transcript of: Deadly day for U.S. troops in Kandahar

    BRIAN WILLIAMS, anchor: Now we turn to Afghanistan , where General David Petraeus ' warning that things would probably get worse for US troops this summer before they got better has sadly proven graphically true. It's been an awful 24 hours for American forces in the war zone. Eight more Americans killed in attacks, including one especially daring raid by the Taliban in the critically important city of Kandahar . That's where we're joined tonight by NBC 's Jim Maceda at Kandahar Air Base . Jim , good evening.

    JIM MACEDA reporting: Brian , today was just a terrible taste of what is expected to be a very bloody summer here in southern Afghanistan , as US and coalition forces increase the tempo of their operations, trying to push the Taliban out of their heartland. Today eight more US troops were killed, and we saw the whole array of the Taliban arsenal. They used suicide car bombers, they used roadside bombs; they even went toe to toe with US forces in a gun battle. The most audacious attack took place inside Kandahar City , and overnight in a compound that housed both US troops and the most elite Afghan police called ANCOP . This was an attack on the very heart of the surge, but, Brian , that surge has barely begun. About a third of US forces haven't even arrived yet. That's some 10,000 troops, but the numbers of US and NATO fatalities continues to rise at record levels, already 103 killed in June and some 45 so far in July alone. US troops tell us that they're prepared for this kind of fierce resistance. They've been told by their generals that stirring up a hornet's nest here in Kandahar would trigger many more casualties. And today a top US general in Kandahar , Ben Hodges , who is chief of operations, said that things would get worse before they get better. But he believes that they will get better soon -- if not in July, then in August. That, we'll see. Brian :

    WILLIAMS: Jim Maceda alongside those fortifications there at Kandahar Air Base .

Interactive: War in Afghanistan

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments