Martin Meissner  /  AP
A cargo plane is loaded at the FedEx distribution center at the International Cargo Airport in Cologne, western Germany on Monday. Investigators found out that packages that terrorists in Yemen attempted to smuggle onto an aircraft were moved through Cologne.
msnbc.com news services
updated 11/1/2010 7:51:13 PM ET 2010-11-01T23:51:13

Al-Qaida's top bombmaker raised his game, officials believe, by following his miss on a crowded U.S.-bound passenger jet last Christmas with four times more explosives packed into bombs hidden last week on flights from Yemen.

The two bombs contained 300 and 400 grams of the industrial explosive PETN, according to a German security official, who briefed reporters Monday in Berlin on condition of anonymity in line with department guidelines. By comparison, the bomb stuffed into a terrorist suspect's underwear on the Detroit-bound plane contained about 80 grams.

Early forensics on the two bombs packed inside computer printer cartridges point to Ibrahim al-Asiri, the master bomb maker for the Yemen-based group known as al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula.

"It shows that they are trying to again make different types of adaptations based on what we have put in place," said John Brennan, President Barack Obama's counterterrorism adviser. "So the underwear bomber, as well as these packages, are showing sort of new techniques on their part. They are very innovative and creative."

Al-Qaida's propaganda machine remained unusually silent about the attacks Monday as U.S. counterterrorism officials looked for new ways to root out the Yemen-based group. Its members number about 300 people hidden in an area of rugged, desert twice the size of Wyoming.

  1. More stories in Security
    1. Bomb tip-off came from ex-Gitmo detainee
    2. Israeli security head: Terrorists using technology
    3. Fixing cargo security system would cost billions
    4. Air travelers embrace stricter 'no-fly' rules
    5. Can bad in-flight behavior land you on the no-fly list?
    6. Yemen bombs suspect sent brother to his death
    7. NYT: Saudis step up global security role
U.S. counterterrorism teams headed for Yemen to hunt for suspects in a plot that revealed security gaps in the worldwide shipping network and reminded the West that al-Qaida was constantly looking to exploit those gaps.

With the U.S. already deeply involved in Yemen's fight against terrorism, it was not immediately obvious how to effectively increase military and intelligence efforts in the impoverished country.

Increased scrutiny
The U.S. and its allies Monday further tightened scrutiny of shipments from Yemen. U.S. counterterrorism officials warned police and emergency personnel to be on the watch for mail with characteristics that could mean dangerous substances are hidden inside.

And Germany's aviation authority extended its ban on air cargo from Yemen to include passenger flights. Britain banned the import of larger printer cartridges by air on Monday as it also announced broader measures to halt air cargo from Yemen and Somalia following the ink cartridge bomb plot.

The Dutch anti-terrorism agency banned all airborne post and freight from Yemen entering the Netherlands.

The exposed plot could fuel calls for the wider use of imaging technology designed to detect explosives, which is not standard, but freight firms are reluctant to bear the full cost.

Tighter international air cargo security rules could deal a blow to trade and the world economy as it recovers from the global recession. According to airlines association IATA, about 35 percent of the value of world trade is carried by air.

Philip Baum, editor of Aviation Security International magazine, said new technology would not eliminate the risk or airline attacks.

"The only thing that has prevented things has either been good luck or people," he told Reuters.

Yemeni authorities on Monday continued to hunt for suspects tied to the mail bomb plot, but a young woman arrested soon after the attacks were thwarted was released. Investigators there said someone had stolen her identity and used it to mail the package.

    1. Castaway's parents thought they would never see him again

      The father of Pacific castaway Jose Salvador Alvarenga said he was told his long-lost son vanished on a fishing trip but he didn’t have the heart to break the news to his ailing wife.

    2. Scotland legalizes same-sex marriage
    3. Weapons deal strengthened Assad: US intel chief
    4. Outcry over the fate of Sochi's stray dogs
    5. Olympic construction leaves Sochi residents in the cold
U.S. and British officials said they believed planes were the targets, not the two Chicago-area synagogues named on the addresses. Exactly how the bombs would have worked, however, remains a focus of investigators. One package was wired to a timer. A second was wired to a cell phone.

Activating a bomb by cell phone while a plane is in midair is unreliable because cell service is spotty or nonexistent at high altitudes. Further complicating the plot, it be would unlikely for terrorists in Yemen to know which planes the bombs had been loaded onto and when they were airborne.

With U.S.-bound cargo out of Yemen temporarily frozen, Transportation Security Administration chief John Pistole said Monday the U.S. would provide Yemen with new screening equipment for cargo. Yemen has promised to step up its security at airports.

The U.S. had been monitoring intelligence on an al-Qaida mail bomb plot for days when a specific tip came in from Saudi Arabia, identifying tracking numbers for the packages. A Yemeni official, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss the ongoing investigation, identified Jabir al-Faifi, a Saudi militant who had joined al-Qaida in Yemen, as the tipster.

Tipster's role unclear
It's unclear, however, what level of detail al-Faifi provided. He was captured in Yemen last month and was turned over to the Saudis before the packages were mailed, making it unlikely he would have known the tracking numbers.

Nobody, including the Internet-savvy al-Qaida group in Yemen, has taken credit for the failed attack. Jihadist Web sites contained numerous messages praising the attempted bombing but nothing official from the group's leadership. The group claimed credit for the Christmas attack three days later.

Though al-Qaida core is based in the lawless tribal regions of Pakistan, offshoot groups have sprung up in other countries, including Yemen and Algeria. The Yemen group is the most active affiliate and has become a leader in recruiting and propaganda, especially in the West thanks to its English-speaking, U.S.-born spokesman, Anwar al-Awlaki.

The U.S. is providing some $300 million in military, humanitarian and development aid to Yemen this year, according to State Department counterterrorism coordinator Daniel Benjamin. About half of that is for military equipment and training, including some 50 special-operations trainers for Yemeni counterterror teams.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said Monday that the U.S. would not reduce that aid in response to the failed attack.

The FBI, Pentagon and CIA all have people on the ground in Yemen, working with counterterrorism officials in Yemen. A military and intelligence campaign, financed and directed by the U.S., to target al-Qaida has had mixed results.

Brennan said Yemeni cooperation is better than it has ever been but still could be better. The failed bombing will put added pressure on Yemen to go even further, perhaps by allowing additional U.S. troops or airstrikes within its border.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

Interactive: Suspicious packages

  1. Above: Interactive Suspicious packages
  2. Interactive Yemen

Video: Bomb tipoff came from former Gitmo detainee

  1. Transcript of: Bomb tipoff came from former Gitmo detainee

    BRIAN WILLIAMS, anchor: on edge tonight about the safety of air travel and air cargo , for that matter, just days after those two mail bombs were intercepted from Yemen before they could reach this country. And there's a new twist tonight, word that a source who helped uncover this plot was actually once held by the US military at Guantanamo Bay , Cuba . Our justice correspondent Pete Williams continues to follow this story out of our Washington newsroom. Pete , good evening.

    PETE WILLIAMS reporting: Brian , the federal government has been criticized in the past for releasing detainees in Guantanamo who end up joining al-Qaeda . Now officials in Yemen say it was a former Gitmo detainee who helped alert intelligence officials that an attack was being planned. Yemeni officials say information that played a role in launching a frantic search for the two packages was provided by a detainee who had been held by the US at Guantanamo Bay about four years. Jaber al - Faifi , a 35-year-old Saudi released three years ago and sent to a Saudi rehabilitation center like this one, where former terrorists are taught to abandon their old ways. Al- Faifi escaped to Yemen and was thought to have joined al-Qaeda there. The Saudi government announced last month that he had surrendered and returned.

    Mr. EVAN KOHLMANN (NBC News Terrorism Analyst): He was one of Saudi Arabia 's most wanted individuals, a former Gitmo detainee who rejoined al-Qaeda . His decision to surrender to the Saudis was of tremendous significance.

    P. WILLIAMS: Now Yemeni officials, who are eager to demonstrate their cooperation with the US, say he provided useful information about the plot. The White House and CIA refused to discuss what role, if any at all, he played in discovering it. Investigators say one of the intercepted bombs held nearly a pound of PETN , a high explosive powder.

    Unidentified Man: This is PETN .

    P. WILLIAMS: An explosive expert in England today demonstrated the destructive power in roughly that amount of PETN .

    Offscreen Voice: Two, one!

    P. WILLIAMS: The US has stopped accepting any packages from Yemen and has sent experts there to help improve cargo security. While the US has no authority to exam cargo overseas, it's urging other countries to improve their screening.

    Ms. JANET NAPOLITANO (Homeland Security Secretary): We always learn from these incidents or these attempts, and we will make adjustments as this attempt warrants.

    P. WILLIAMS: As for the bombs themselves, US officials say there's no clear idea yet how they were suppose to work; whether they were, in fact, fully functional and, if so, what the targets actually were. And it may be several more days before any of that is known, Brian .

    B. WILLIAMS: Pete Williams in our Washington newsroom tonight. Pete , thanks.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments