SAN'A, Yemen — Yemen launched an operation on Tuesday to arrest a Saudi bomb maker accused of being behind the foiled bomb plot involving U.S.-bound parcels, while suspected al-Qaida fighters blew up an oil pipeline, apparently in response.
Yemen's military, under international pressure to find the bomb maker, deployed to the south of the country, where the insurgents attacked the pipeline operated by the Korean National Oil Corporation. It was not clear if exports would be affected.
- Yemen charges U.S.-born cleric al-Awlaki
- Did al-Qaida figure telegraph cargo bomb plot?
- Parcel bombs 4 times larger than Christmas plot
- Bomb tip-off came from ex-Gitmo detainee
- Air travel facing 'ludicrous' security, claims CEO
- Yemen bombs suspect sent brother to his death
- NYT: Saudis step up global security role
"This is one of the things we should expect because al-Qaida wants to give the message to the Yemeni government that military escalation does not mean that al-Qaida will remain silent now — that they will react and escalate," Ibrahim Sharqieh, deputy director at Brookings Institute's Doha Center, told Reuters.
The aim of the military operation in the provinces of Maarib and Shabwa, where oil and gas fields of major international companies are located, was to capture suspected bomb maker Ibrahim al-Asiri, a Yemeni security official said.
The attack on the pipeline was in Shabwa.
The mission is also to catch the U.S.-born radical preacher Anwar al-Awlaki, who is wanted by Washington.
Yemeni authorities also began the trial in absentia of al-Awlaki , who has been linked to the failed bombing of a U.S.-bound plane in December 2009 that was claimed by Yemen's al-Qaida wing and who is thought to be in southern Yemen.Interactive: Yemen (on this page)
"The timing of this (Awlaki) trial leaves no doubt that this is also in response to international pressure on the government," Sharqieh said.
The U.S. Treasury has blacklisted Awlaki as a "specially designated global terrorist." Earlier this year, the United States authorized the CIA to capture or kill him.
The two parcel bombs were intercepted last week on cargo planes in Britain and Dubai and are thought to be the work of al-Qaida's Yemen-based arm, Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), U.S. officials say.
Last week's plot deepened Western security fears focused on Yemen after AQAP claimed responsibility for a suicide bomb that Saudi Arabia's security chief narrowly survived in August 2009 and a foiled Christmas Day attack on a U.S.-bound plane.
U.S. President Barack Obama has increased funding for Yemen this year, providing $150 million in military assistance alone.
Unmanned American drone aircraft gather information about militants and have occasionally fired missiles at them, although neither Washington nor San'a is keen to admit this.
Joint U.S.-Yemeni security operations in the past year have failed to kill or capture AQAP's top leadership.
The muscular approach risks provoking a fierce backlash among Yemenis already deeply hostile to the U.S. invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan and to Washington's support for Israel.
Al-Qaida has in the past threatened to target Yemen's oil and gas infrastructure, but such attacks have been relatively rare. Disgruntled tribes have sporadically blown up pipelines to exert pressure on the government.
"It (the pipeline) is an easy target and doesn't need much planning. In all other easy targets especially in the southern parts of Yemen, we should expect to see some escalation at this time," Sharqieh said.
In a fresh development over the interception of the bombs, it was reported that American intelligence officials tracked several shipments of household goods from Yemen to Chicago in September and considered that the parcels might be a "dry run" for a militant attack.
Intelligence officials believe the tracking of the shipments may have been used to plan the route and timing for two parcel bombs discovered on U.S.-bound planes in Dubai and London.
"That was one scenario that was considered," an official told The New York Times.
The "dry run" involved a carton of household goods including books, religious literature, and a computer disk, but no explosives, shipped from Yemen to Chicago, the report said.
Only on NBCNews.com
- From belief to betrayal: How America fell for Armstrong
- US to Syria neighbors: Be ready to act on WMDs
- China: One-child policy is here to stay
- New 'Practice Range' shooter game says it’s from NRA
- 'Gifted' priest indicted in crystal meth case
- China's state media admits to air pollution crisis
- French to send 1,000 more troops to Mali
"We received information several weeks ago that potentially connected these packages to AQAP. The boxes were stopped in transit and searched. They contained papers, books and other materials, but no explosives," an official, who was familiar with details of the shipments and spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss classified intelligence, told The Associated Press.
The official also disclosed that both mail bombs, one recovered in Dubai and the other in Britain on Friday, were wired to detonators that used cell phone technology.
It still was not clear whether those detonators would have been set off by telephone calls or by an internal alarm.
The bombs were hidden in printer toner cartridges and would have been powerful enough to destroy the planes carrying them, British officials said.
The New York Times said the apparent test run may have allowed plotters to estimate when planes carrying the explosive toner cartridges would be over Chicago or another city.
That would permit them to set timers on the two devices to trigger explosions where they would cause the greatest damage, the Times said.
Nobody, including the Internet-savvy al-Qaida group in Yemen, has taken credit for the failed attack. Jihadist Web sites contained numerous messages praising the attempted bombing but nothing official from the group's leadership.
Reuters and The Associated Press contributed to this report.