Skip navigation

  Other places to get forms

The IRS will no longer be automatically mailing paper tax packages, due to the continued growth in electronic filing. But it still has free tax forms and publications on a wide variety of topics. Here's how to obtain them:

Taxpayer Assistance Centers
The IRS operates 401 centers nationwide where it offers face-to-face assistance and where taxpayers can pick up many IRS forms and publications. Locations are listed on the IRS website; go to Contact My Local Office on the Individuals page to find a list by state or enter your ZIP code to find the one nearest you.

Community locations
Many libraries and post offices offer free tax forms during tax filing season. Some libraries also have copies of commonly requested publications. Many large grocery stores, copy centers and office supply stores have forms you can make copies of.

By mail
You can call 1-800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676) to order current-year forms. The IRS requests that taxpayers wait until after Jan. 17 to place requests.

Tax Tactics videos
  Taxes and your nest egg
Lisa Featherngill, a CPA and personal financial specialist, and CNBC's Sharon Epperson, help you make sure your portfolio mix isn't too taxing.

Sponsored links

Resource guide