LONDON — A British court on Friday approved the extradition of a terror suspect wanted in the United States over an alleged plot to detonate explosives in the New York City subway system.
Judge Quentin Purdy said that 24-year-old Abid Naseer can be sent for to the U.S. to stand trial for his alleged role in a terror campaign that would have struck at targets in Britain, Norway and the U.S.
U.S. authorities say they aim to prove that Naseer collected bombing ingredients, conducted reconnaissance, and was in frequent contact with other al-Qaida operatives as part of the international plot, previously tied to a foiled plan to detonate explosives aboard the New York City subway and a suspected plot to bomb a busy shopping area in the northern England city of Manchester.
Who's who of world leaders descends on South Africa
A who’s who of international dignitaries descended on South Africa Monday to pay tribute to Nelson Mandela.
- On Mandela's old street, he unites in death as in life
- 'I am a soldier of Allah': Alleged killer of Afghan war vet says
- Kim Jong Un's uncle dragged away, erased from film
- Hagel talks drones with Pakistan PM amid tensions
- Who's who of world leaders descends on South Africa
Naseer, who wore a brown shirt, stroked his beard as the judge read out his ruling but otherwise showed no reaction. Asked whether he understood that he could appeal the judgment, he said: "Yes sir, thank you."
Naseer's defense had argued that Naseer could be mistreated or tortured if sent to America, an argument rejected by the judge.
Naseer is charged with providing material support to a foreign terrorist organization, conspiring to provide such support and "conspiracy to use destructive force." He faces a possible life sentence if convicted.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.