WESTMINSTER, Md. — Five senior centers in Carroll County are now offering a weight loss challenge program based on the television show "The Biggest Loser."
Don't miss these Health stories
More women opting for preventive mastectomy - but should they be?
- Larry Page's damaged vocal cords: Treatment comes with trade-offs
- Report questioning salt guidelines riles heart experts
- CDC: 2012 was deadliest year for West Nile in US
- What stresses moms most? Themselves, survey says
- More women opting for preventive mastectomy - but should they be?
The program in Carroll County is called "Lose 2 Win" and is inspired by the reality show that takes overweight contestants and puts them through a rigorous training program to lose weight.
The sixth month "Lose 2 Win" program was developed by University of Maryland Food Supplement Nutrition Educator Terry Serio. Participants earn points they can redeem for prizes on the last day of class. They get a point for every pound lost as well as things like attending class and weighing themselves.
So far 10 seniors have signed up for the program.
Information from: Carroll County Times of Westminster, Md., http://www.carrollcounty.com/
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.