updated 2/3/2011 6:57:11 PM ET 2011-02-03T23:57:11

An official in Portland, Ore., says a house fire that caused $30,000 in damage was apparently started by tenants who were using a hole in the floor as an ashtray.

    1. Groundhog's forecast comes in bitter winter
    2. FAA investigates mystery object that hit house
    3. Ohio man's wish fulfilled as he is buried on motorcycle
    4. Airbnb Renters Discover Corpse in Property Garden
    5. On Facebook, headlines we can't run here, and more

Portland Fire & Rescue spokesman Paul Corah says, in his words, "That's not careless smoking, that's stupid smoking."

He says the caller who reported the fire Wednesday also hung up on the 911 dispatcher, then refused to talk when the dispatcher tried to call back for more details.

No one was injured.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments