updated 3/27/2011 11:15:16 AM ET 2011-03-27T15:15:16

STAMFORD, Conn., March 25, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Americans have rekindled their romance with natural gas, says MXenergy President and CEO Jeffrey Mayer. MXenergy is one of the country's largest suppliers of natural gas and electricity to homeowners and businesses.

Mr. Mayer said the sudden skepticism about nuclear power has reminded Americans that "they don't have to go far to find ample energy resources. Natural gas is like the girl next door."

"We like to say that natural gas is like an old flame," Mr. Mayer said. "It's always reliable, it isn't dirty and expensive like the alternatives, and it's right next door." Because natural gas supplies are delivered by pipe to consumers, 95% of natural gas is produced in North America where it is used. The remaining 5% is imported in the form of liquefied natural gas or LNG.

"The United States has enough natural gas reserves to last a century," he said, "and we keep finding more.   Over the last decade alone, new technologies have helped to open up huge additional quantities."

Natural gas is used for electricity generation, industrial processes and home heating.   Driven by environmental concerns, almost all new electric generating plants built over the past 20 years are fueled by natural gas. This is because unlike coal and fuel oil, natural gas does not emit smog-producing sulfur dioxide and produces half of the carbon dioxide of coal.

"After the Fukushima reactor problems, Americans are realizing that they can have their cake and eat it too: More domestic energy without the risks of nuclear power," Mr. Mayer said.

The 9.0 magnitude earthquake rocked Japan on March 11. The earthquake and resulting tsunami has devastated Japan, displacing more than 500,000 citizens. The damage to Japan's nuclear reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi complex has caused many across the world to call for a re-evaluation of the safety of nuclear power.

About MXenergy

MXenergy is one of the fastest growing retail natural gas and electricity suppliers in North America, serving approximately 500,000 customers in 41 utility territories in the United States and Canada. For over 11 years, the company has provided millions of customers with a choice in how they purchase energy to run their homes and businesses. Founded in 1999 to provide natural gas and electricity to consumers in deregulated energy markets, MXenergy  helps residential customers and small business owners control their energy bills by providing both fixed and variable rate plans MXenergy  is committed to best practices in environmental conservation, supporting local communities through various outreach programs and is a member of the Chicago Climate Exchange. For more information about MXenergy please visit www.mxenergy.com.

CONTACT: Marjorie Kass (203) 356-1318 ext. 7801
         Managing Director
         mkass@mxenergy.com
         
         Laurel O'Connor (209) 782-7212
         NorthStar Media Management LLC
         laurel@northstarmediamanagement.com

© Copyright 2012, GlobeNewswire, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments

Data: Latest rates in the US

Home equity rates View rates in your area
Home equity type Today +/- Chart
$30K HELOC FICO 2.48%
$30K home equity loan FICO 5.80%
$75K home equity loan FICO 4.54%
Credit card rates View more rates
Card type Today +/- Last Week
Low Interest Cards 13.57%
13.57%
Cash Back Cards 17.91%
17.91%
Rewards Cards 17.15%
17.15%
Source: Bankrate.com