updated 5/16/2011 6:01:07 PM ET 2011-05-16T22:01:07

Fire officials in Cincinnati say a two-family home was destroyed when a heater being used to kill bedbugs set a carpet on fire.

The house was being treated Sunday by an exterminator who says he gets rid of the pests by raising a home's temperature to 135 degrees using propane heaters. Residents are told to leave and remove anything flammable.

Cincinnati Fire District Chief Glenn Coleman says the carpet was ignited by one of six heaters inside the home. The fire went undetected until a neighbor saw smoke pouring from the house.

The exterminator, Richard Tyree, blames an equipment malfunction for the fire and tells The Cincinnati Enquirer he's never had a problem before. He says his company has insurance.

___

Information from: The Cincinnati Enquirer, http://www.enquirer.com

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments