Image: Man on communications tower
James Gibbard  /  AP
William Boyd Sturdivant II climbs into a lift bucket Tuesday from the Clear Channel Communications tower in Tulsa, Okla.
updated 8/16/2011 8:25:36 PM ET 2011-08-17T00:25:36

A man who scaled an Oklahoma TV tower last week surrendered to Tulsa police Tuesday after a six-day standoff, the Tulsa World reported.

After several hours of attempts by rescue crews to coax him to safety, William Boyd Sturdivant II, 25, climbed into a Tulsa Fire Department truck lift around 6:40 p.m. and was brought 100 feet down to the ground.

Once he reached the ground, police and fire department officials placed Sturdivant on a stretcher and transported him to a hospital, according to the Tulsa World.

The KOTV-DT station reported that Sturdivant had been on the Clear Channel radio tower since 11 a.m. Thursday.

During several rescue attempts, crews offered Sturdivant food and water if he would agree to come down from his perch. It is unclear how crews finally persuaded Sturdivant to leave the tower.

During Tuesday's rescue efforts, a man in the fire department truck lift at times touched Sturdivant's hand, seeming to try to persuade him into the bucket, but was rebuffed. At one point, the man could be seen grabbing Sturdivant's feet, trying to pull him in as Sturdivant resisted.

KOTV-DT broadcast a live stream of Sturdivant's rescue Tuesday.

Citing police, KOTV-DT reported that Sturdivant asked for a Whataburger meal and some Oreos and milk Tuesday morning.

'He's not coming down'
Fox News noted the public interest in Sturdivant, with a crowd of people on the ground and a number of Twitter hashtags about him appearing.

Dozens of onlookers flocked to the site, and mental health experts urged caution and compassion from members of the public, who took to the Internet to weigh in on the situation.

Before Sturdivant was brought down, police noted concerns that the crowd would derail rescue attempts.

"We've had a couple of times when we've made some progress with him and then the crowd will start yelling and screaming things, it will distract him, and we'll regress and go 12 hours back in time with the progression that we've made with him," Ryan Perkins, of Tulsa Police, told KOTV-DT before the rescue.

Image: Negotiators in a ladder truck attempt to persuade the man on the Clear Channel Communications broadcast tower
Jeff Lautenberger  /  AP
Negotiators in a ladder truck attempt to persuade the man on the Clear Channel Communications broadcast tower to come down on Monday.

"We don't want people yelling, screaming, taking pictures. We would like people to, basically, ignore him," he added, warning that spectators could be arrested if they obstructed police.

Sturdivant wore only a pair of shorts as temperatures reached into the upper 90s Tuesday afternoon. There was room on the metal lattice for him to take naps, and he continued to occasionally shout at people and officers below.

A Clear Channel spokeswoman said that the company's staff in Tulsa found the man in an unauthorized area Thursday morning, and he ran from security guards and scaled the tower.

Sturdivant told police officers Saturday night that he did not want to be "down there," KOTV-DT reported.

He also said at one point that "there's no such thing as suicide," the station reported.

© 2013 Reprints


Discussion comments


Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments