BOULDER, Colo. — Rep. Jared Polis of Colorado has announced the birth of a new son, making him the only openly gay member of Congress to be a parent.
Other political news of note
Better economic news could boost incumbents in 2014
First Read: Republicans and Democrats have a different focus for the midterm elections but a growing economy could change the playing field.
- Races to watch: Will Obamacare sink Dems in 2014?
- Paul says his economic plan is the only hope for depressed areas such as Detroit
- Mandela biographer says prison ‘crucible’ steeled him and led to victory
- Clinton: Mandela's example 'went way beyond political leadership'
- Better economic news could boost incumbents in 2014
While few details of the birth were made available, the Democratic congressman's press office did release the announcement that Polis, 36, and his partner, Marlon Reis, sent to friends and family.
The announcement said Caspian Julius was born on Friday and weighed in at 8 pounds, 12 ounces. The announcement asked well-wishers for "nice thoughts for Caspian, humankind, the planet and the universe."
The Boulder Weekly said that in the birth announcement Polis and Reis also wrote, “Baby has learned to cry already!”
It was unclear whether the baby was adopted or born through a surrogate; Polis has called it a private matter.
Polis is one of four openly gay members of Congress. He's serving his second term in office.
Msnbc.com staff contributed to this report from The Associated Press.