CANBERRA, Australia — The Australian government launched an investigation Sunday into how a classified booklet detailing Barack Obama's itinerary came to be lost in a gutter during the president's visit last week.
Other political news of note
Ax hovers over food stamp program as costs grow
A Congressional showdown looms over proposed cuts to the food stamp program, with lawmakers quoting Bible verses and benefits for millions hanging in the balance.
- Capping week of scandal management, Obama says focus remains on jobs
- 2016 notebook: Republicans try to dent Clinton's armor?
- Issa issues subpoena to Benghazi review board leader
- IRS officials testify at House hearing
- Ax hovers over food stamp program as costs grow
Journalist Dylan Welch of The Age newspaper reported that he found the 125-page booklet on Thursday about 100 yards from Parliament House in Canberra, where Obama attended several functions during his 27-hour Australian visit.Story: Obama: US to boost Asia-Pacific military presence
The booklet contained details on Obama's itinerary, his security convoy and the cell phone numbers of senior U.S. and Australian officials.
Professor Alan Dupont, an analyst based at Sydney University, described the incident as a "significant security breach."
"If that had got into the wrong hands, it would certainly put the president and some of his entourage at risk," Dupont told the newspaper.Story: Obama cites jobs payoff from Asia trip
Australia's Attorney-General's Department said in a statement on Sunday it was investigating. The department said it did not comment on security matters.
The Associated Press and msnbc.com staff contributed to this report.