msnbc.com staff and news service reports
updated 1/9/2012 4:54:29 AM ET 2012-01-09T09:54:29

Dozens of people were hospitalized late Sunday after a carbon monoxide leak at a U.S. Merchant Marine Academy east of New York City.

Newsday reported that authorities responded to reports of a "positive rating" for carbon monoxide shortly before 10 p.m. Sunday.

It said that at least 42 people were transported to area hospitals. Citing police, Newsday reported that leak was linked to a water heater.

A Nassau County police spokeswoman told The Associated Press early Monday that no one is seriously ill and that officials have wrapped up their investigation. She said the leak was in the Academy's Barry Hall.

The Merchant Marine Academy prepares students for careers in the maritime industry. Its 82-acre campus is on Long Island, about 20 miles east of New York City.

The Associated Press and msnbc.com staff contributed to this report.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments